Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Old School or High Tech?

The other day I was having coffee with a friend of mine, a PR consultant whom I trust and respect, and whose name shall remain anonymous. He was bemoaning the cataclysmic changes taking place in the communications industry today. He counted off the metrics of readership down, ad revenues down, layoffs in journalism, newspapers shuttering, TV stations cutting back on news coverage. "It's a mess, I tell you. And, what's worse is I can't figure this out, my friend. Everybody wants to Twitter, put their face on Facebook, and get LinkedIn. What's up with all this electro-techie stuff," as he called it.

I took a long draw on my black coffee (I've cut back on lattes until the market improves along with my bank account), and said, "Let's examine this simply."

He looked at me dumbfounded.

"Don't sweat it," I said. Change is happening everywhere and throughout every industry. Everybody right now is trying to figure it out. If someone tells you he or she has the answer, leave your coffee on the table and run the other way."

"Are you nuts? This cup of joe cost me two bucks," he lamented.

"I know. You have to choose between the truth or comfort. Anyway, here's the rub. The fundamentals are still the same. It doesn't matter what technology you use, you still have to be certain of what your messages are and if they're in sync with your audiences. And, I don't mean the vast mass, general audience. I mean the specific individuals and groups who need to know about you or your products and services and who care about you. Then, decide if you need old school communications or high tech."

"Oh," he said.

Listen, I said, "People still relate to people, whether it's in person (preferable), or by written word, voice word, or visual word. But, pick one, or all that are appropriate and the means your audience prefers."

"Sounds to me like you have all the answers," he grumbled.

"I think you better run. I'll finish your coffee."

We don't have all the answers, but we can help you find effective solutions for communicating. Check out: www.interprogroup.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment